Sunday, February 11, 2024

My Italian Bucket List – Version 2024

After having been to Italy multiple times for work and play, since 1971, one would think someone like me might have ticked off all the boxes of an immersive and exhaustive Italian experience. It seems though, on further contemplation, that there are a few boxes remaining to be filled in. So, here goes.

  • Visit Sardegna – Of all the regions I haven’t been to there remains one – Sardegna. I’d love to visit the island, find the wild parts, hug the coastline, eat lamb, drink Cannonau and discover what it is about the island that makes it unique and wonderful.
  • Drive or ride around Italy in a Ferrari – True confession: I have never driven or rode around Italy in the fabled motorcar. Or anywhere, for that matter! I’d like to break that spell and take a ride (short or long, fast or slow) in Italy in a Ferrari. Simple enough, yes?
  • Wineries to visit that I have never been to – those would be Roberto Conterno, Angelo Gaja, Edoardo Valentini, Biondi-Santi and Sassicaia. These are iconic wineries and their wines. Although I have tasted and enjoyed many times, I have never had the pleasure, or privilege, of visiting ad locum.

 


Unfortunately, there is one thing I will never be able to check off. And that would have been to travel in Italy with my mom. We talked about it, even tried to plan it, but my wife Liz, at the time, was too sick. So, it never happened. Happily, my mom was able to go to Italy with my two sisters and a grand-daughter. It was a “girl trip.” And they had a great time. But I missed out on being one of the girls.

Really, on reflection, there isn’t much I have missed in regards to my Italian journey. I’ll probably get to Sardegna, not sure about the other things on the list. But I have no complaints. Italy has been very kind and most generous in sharing her bounty and her beauty with me in my lifetime. And for that, I am most grateful.

wine blog +  Italian wine blog + Italy W
Real Time Analytics