Friday, September 02, 2011

New Maremma Wine, Qaddafi's Hummer & Late Night Pasolini

There is no lack of news and oddities in the vineyards of the Maremma, or the rest of Italy, for that matter.

I have been on the road all day, driving back from a whirlwind tour of Tuscany during what is turning out to be a very hot and dry harvest, and one with a few distractions.

We arrived back in Milan for a few last meetings and a quick dinner at a restaurant run by sweet folks from Apulia. But the real news is the wine I was shown at La Badiola winery. When asked the grape the winemaker told us it was called Marselan. It was light in color, totally unoaked and fresh, spicy and a delicious sipper. In fact I did not spit any of the wine. Anyone heard of this grape? Some reports say it is a hybrid between Cabernet Sauvignon and Grenache. It was not too tannic. It was refreshing in the heat of the Tuscan sun at the end of the August month.

Odd. On August 1 I was driving north on SS1 (the Aurelia) and on August 31 I found myself driving south on the very same highway. The month of August, the revered month for Italians to vacation. And twice I found myself running from winery to winery. Consider myself very lucky to be working in the playground of many Italian holiday goers. And glad to be working, rather than catching more sun. Something which we have more than had our share of in Texas.


Another oddity. This Hummer, said to belong to one of the sons of the whacked out Qaddafi. It seems he just abandoned it in a parking lot of the resort he was staying at. Other reports had it that he had a monthly allowance of $8,000,000. If that is anywhere near the truth, why wouldn’t he just leave the car?

Now it sits there, birds crapping all over the car, a symbol to some of the bloviated lifestyle of overly materialistic folks. As for my feelings, with gas selling for $8 a gallon in Italy, it just doesn't make a lot of economic sense. But who are we, the little people, in the grand scheme of the wealthy and powerful?

Last oddity – I had no time for Italian TV on this rapid fire trip. But one night it accidentally turned on and there was Pasolini being interviewed. I admire the films of Pasolini, and just thought it some kind of coincidence when he popped up on the screen in the wee hours.

Heading back to America and Texas. And while I am not looking forward to the heat, I am ready to be back home and to put my head on my own pillow for a bit.


Buon (long) weekend, y’all.


Real Time Analytics